Are you really feeling the cold this winter? We sure are! Check out this filling vege soup recipe to keep the cold at bay.
Vegetable soup is the perfect dish for cooler nights. Warming, packed full of nutrients and sure to keep the sniffles at bay. With chickpeas, Peas and Pearl Barley this soup boasts protein and fibre, perfect for anyone that needs a mid-winter boost!
Filling Garden Veggie Soup
Serves 4 generously or 6
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Celery stalk, finely sliced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 300g cooked (tinned) Chickpeas
- 800g chopped Tomatoes
- 3 litres of Vegetable Stock and another 500ml
- 1 cup of Peas
- 1 cup of Sweetcorn
- 1 cup of Pearl Barley
- 1 cup of chopped mixed fresh herbs-Parsley and Basil
- 1 Tbsp of quality Oil
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a gentle heat, add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and cook for around 6 minutes until starting to soften.
- Increase the heat, then add the chickpeas, tomatoes, barley and the vegetable stock. Once this has come to the boil, reduce the heat and allow the soup to simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally and making sure the pearl barley is softened.
- Add the peas and sweetcorn and a little more vegetable stock if needed. Cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the chopped fresh herbs and serve immediately in warmed soup bowls. Yum!