Homemade macaroni cheese …mmmm! Have you ever heard of anything that sounds more delicious than “ Bacon wrapped Jalapeno Mac and Cheese cups?” Nope, neither have we.
These little cups are packed full of cheesy goodness, and a little punch with some added Jalapenos. Perfect for an appetizer and an afternoon snack, it’s not only the best treat to celebrate national mac and cheese day (14th of July!) with, these little snacks are also good all year round!
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Mac & Cheese Cups
- 500g Macaroni
- 100g Butter
- 100g Plain Flour
- 1 Litre Milk
- 300ml Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground Mustard
- 3 cups Grated Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon chopped Pickled Jalapenos
- Seasoning- Salt and ground Black Pepper
- 12 slices precooked Bacon
- 1/4 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the macaroni according to the package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the plain flour and cook, stirring constantly, until a paste (roux), about 2 minutes. Using a whisk, mix in the milk. This will create a smooth creamy white sauce (béchamel). Cook gently – keep whisking for 10 minutes – do not allow it to catch on the bottom.
- Add the cream, mustard, and add the Cheddar and stir until smooth. Stir in the macaroni and jalapenos and season with salt and black pepper.
- Line a greased muffin tin with slices of precooked bacon – or you can cook the bacon in the muffin tin itself until crispy. If cooking in the tin then please drain out most of the bacon fat.
- Divide the Cooled Jalapeno Mac n Cheese between the bacon-lined cups in the muffin pan.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Allow the bacon mac and cheese cups to set and cool a bit in the pan before removing them.
- Creamy macaroni cheese – ENJOY ?